Sunday, November 8, 2009

Dell Mini 10v Netbook Running Ubuntu

Overview
A few month ago, I started looking for a small portable computer. I ended up targeting netbook class portable computers. I needed something small and reasonably powerful to allow me to work where ever I happened to be. I also needed something that I could put linux on since that is what I prefer over other operating systems. I ended up getting a Dell Mini 10v netbook for use when traveling.

Specifications
I got the Mini 10v version which is configured as following:
  • Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
  • 10.1" Widescreen Display (1024x600)
  • 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
  • 120G SATA HD
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
  • 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
  • Ubuntu 8.10 Linux
  • Webcam (1.3 megapixel)
  • 3 USB
  • 1 VGA
  • Headphone/Mic
I got it with the default color case which is black. The only upgrade I got was the battery which was bumped from a 3-cell to a 6-cell.

Aside from that, I picked up a cheap-o portable USB mini mouse at a local computer store since I hate touchpads (only option for the mini) and a Caselogic PLS-9Black Ultra Portable 7-Inch - 10-Inch Laptop Sleeve (Black) So I could safely carry my netbook in a separate compartment from my main laptop.

The unit comes in a very small and tidy box with just the things you need.
  • Netbook
  • Power supply
  • CD with OS and such
  • Small getting started guide
After charging the battery fully, I booted it up. The following are my impressions about the Dell Mini 10v.

Screen
The screen is small. Duh? At 10.1" with 1024x600 resolution, it does not provide much heights to work with. Lets just say, any code I develop on it is even more modular and concise then normal since a page on the mini is shorter then on just about anything else.

For python programming (first job it was tasked with) I had no problems. Emacs is lean and well suited for this computer.

For things like Netbeans, you will want to collapse just about everything except the editor. I have not needed to do heavy programming yet but I suspect it is up to the task.

It does support a VGA output. So far I have not been able to get an extended desktop to work. I can, however, pump all video output to an external monitor or projector. Extended desktop would be a serious advantage for someone who wants to connect this to an external monitor when at home or work.

Image Quality
Fantastic. The screen is bright and clear. I have had no issues reading documentation, code, emails, and blogs using it. I like the 10v screen better then my main Latitude E6500.

Performance
The Intel Atom process does a fine job. It is not very beefy but I have not had noticeable waits. I am not a gamer so I cannot speak for that. For business work and casual Internet work, the performance is just fine.

Ubuntu 8.10
I commend Dell for pre-installing Ubuntu 8.10. It is great that they choose hardware that will work for more then just Windows. Ubuntu 8.10 works well out of the box. It doesn't have any "crap ware" that you usually get with a non-Apple computer. I powered it on, answered a few question and was up and running.

However, I upgraded to 9.04 almost right away since it was more mature. To upgraded, I just downloaded the image and flashed it to a pen drive. After booting and following the base instructions, install was a snap. There were absolutely no issues at all upgrading. All hardware was detected and everything came up perfectly. Even the webcam.

When Ubuntu 9.10 came out, I upgraded that day using the standard Ubuntu network upgrade. Again, no issues. A perfect install/update.

UPDATE (2010-01): I have spoken with a few people who have said that a clean install to 9.10 does not go very smooth. If this is the case, your best bet is to get 9.04 and upgrade to 9.10. It is a little more work but should not cause any issues. Hopefully 10.04 in April 2010 will improve the clean install.

Why not Windows XP? Well, after installing all the extra windows applications + virus scanner, I would be dealing with a pretty sluggish computer. With XP, a real time virus scanner is a must. Especially on a system that is designed to be used for travel.

Overall Linux seems better suited to leaner systems. Plus, it has everything I need to be productive out of the box. Linux is just my personal preference.

Battery
The one upgrade I did for my netbook was to get a bigger battery. The 6-cell is about $35 more and well worth it. On a long flight with my wireless off, I had power for just about the entire time. I was quite surprised actually.

To date, I only use my netbook on battery and the battery life is still very good. The battery life will be less with wireless on but it is still very long for a portable computer.

With the 6-cell battery, there is a long round strip that sticks out the bottom of the netbook. At first I hated this since it put a bulge on the back. I got over it once I realized that it helped keep it cool and put the whole thing at a slight angle for better and easier typing. The sleeve I got stretches to accommodate the bulge from the battery.

Keyboard
For something so small, the keyboard is great. It has the extra windows keys between control and alt that work great with Ubuntu. For me, the feel is very good and I can type fast on it.

For Ubuntu, I suggest going into the CMOS setup of the netbook (accessed when you see the dell logo during boot) and set the function keys (F1-F12) to be function versus multi-media. For me that is a personal preference.

Touchpad
Before I talk about the touchpad, I have to confess, I hate all touchpads. They just don't work for me very well. Especially when I am doing graphical programming.

Of all the touchpads inflicted on me, this is probably one of the worst I have used. Dell made a mistake by mixing the buttons and touchpad area. I can use it but others I have used work better. For me, I don't care since I got a cheap mini-mouse that plugs into a USB port. When the mouse is not plugged in, the touchpad does fine.

I wish it came with an inteli-stick option like the latitude or thinkpad series laptops.

Usability
Even being so small, Dell did a good job balancing the size and usability. I can be productive on this unit. I get the benefit of portability and quick boot up times. The keyboard is great and the screen is clear.

Overall Opinion
I am happy with my Dell Mini 10v. Although I bought it for travel, I find I use it more then I expected. It follows me to meetings at work and around the house.

Pros
  • Great battery life
  • Good quality screen
  • Proper keyboard
  • Runs Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 like a champ
  • UPDATE (2010-12): 10.04 and 10.10 like a champ.
  • 3 USB ports.
Cons
  • Touchpad
  • External VGA out could support extended desktop.
Hope this feedback helps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - but this was NOT my experience...
I just bought a Dell Mini 10v, and it shipped with Ubuntu 8.04. There was all kinds of Dell crapware (Yahoo toolbar in Firefox, desktop icon links to e-bay, Youtube, etc, etc.).
I did a clean install of 9.10 and everything worked, except for the wireless card, which had to be tweaked (there is a Broadcom STA driver, but you have to go online with a cable, then download and refresh...).
Once that was all done, I agree, it is a nice machine, and Karmic runs zippily on this setup - and the screen is gorgeous as is the keyboard.
Just want people to be aware, everything is not quite as clean as you make it seem...

uuklanger said...

Anonymous... I must not have paid enough attention to the "crap ware" installed in firefox. Thanks for that detail.

I was more referring to preview software that expires unless you buy it. Most non Linux systems come with to much of that.

As far as the wireless card. I am curious what tweak was needed. For me it fired right up along with all the other hardware.

With 9.04 and 9.10, I literally had to do nothing to get it to work. Granted, I had upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10. There may be something in 9.10 during a clean install affecting wireless.

For whoever posted the above comment, please give more details on the broadcom STA issue. What did you do to make it work?

Thanks for this feedback.