Sunday, May 31, 2009

Subversion - Adding a new Repo

Overview
Based on my previous post, you should now have a working and configured Subversion environment. Most of the work was done in Apache.

Now a repo is needed to store all related projects. Subversion is pretty flexible here. You can create a repo per project, on single repo for everything, or do what I do. Create a repo per language you work in. For example:
  • /opt/intranet/svn/python/
  • /opt/intranet/svn/ruby/
  • /opt/intranet/svn/java/
  • /opt/intranet/svn/php/
The amount of repos is up to you.

Procedure
For this example, I am adding a new repo for my perl code projects. All my repos are stored in /opt/intranet/svn/

to create a new repo:

• cd /opt/intranet/svn
• svnadmin create perl
• chown -R apache:apache perl/

Within each repo, one or many projects. The following shows how to prepare and import files into a new project.

Final Thoughts
With this repo created, new projects can be added.

No comments: