Monday, October 29, 2007

Apple - When will OS X Leopard have JAVA 6

When I first started reading about leopard, the new iMAC became the iDrool in my eyes. Everything looked to be there. I was itching to get a MAC to use along side linux. Possibly even replace it over time.

When I found out that JAVA 6 was not included because Apple did not have it ready in time for leopard, I became concerned. I used to use OS/2 and found that same thing. I would see a new version of something come out for other operating systems and finally OS/2 month later. It was just not a priority. I don't like the idea of MAC becoming the same thing. MAC should be cutting-edge. As far as I can see, they are cutting-edge except for this JAVA 6 in leopard issue.

I personally wish that Apple would:
  • address why it was not included via some kind of press release.
  • tell developers and users where JAVA stands in their vision of OSX. Is it core to the OS or a "nice to have" toy?
  • tell us what consumers/developers can expect with future releases. (delay or availability when it is officially released by SUN). Are delays going to be a common experience for JAVA developers.
I think this would cool my jets and other too. Either way, I am now less confident in getting a MAC. Linux will remain my platform until I get a clearer view. I know it would drive me crazy using my XP system at work with the latest java, my laptop at home with the latest java but my MAC with one version back.

13949712720901ForOSX is here because of this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apple really needs to do a press release.